Inspired Momx1

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Of "Sui" Supressing Money (Ya Sui Qian) And Ang Pao


Left: From Isetan KL, Center: OCBC Bank, Right: Hong Leong Bank 

No, this is not the common Ang Pao (red packet containing money) given on the 1st day of Chinese New Year onwards. This “压岁钱” are given by parents to their young children during the Chinese New Year Eve night. The parents will put these “压岁钱” under the pillow of their children secretly after they fell asleep. There was once a monster called Sui, “祟”. This monster will come out during the Chinese New Year Eve and touch those sleeping children’s forehead. Those children whose forehead had been touched by the Sui, “祟” will become retarded or insane. So to prevent this from happening, parents will stay up late to watch out for the Sui.

My mom did that every year without fail when we were kids.  She would give us Ang Paos on the eve of CNY night and made sure we put them under our pillow.  Now that I have my own kid, I also do the same every year but.. but.. but I did not this year simply because I forgot but what the heck..  I only gave him his Ang Pau on the 1st day of CNY.

Hubby and myself still receive Ang Paos from my parents in-law and hubby's paternal aunty and this year we received a relatively fatter ones from the in-law.. Hmmm.. does anyone know how's the share market performing lately?

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Yannie said...

I also practised this every year. Give them the angpow and ask them to put under the pillow. Only this year, I requested both my girls to knee and get the angpows from my husband.

February 8, 2011 at 8:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dunno about this traditional practice? Which dialect? Cantonese? Wah!!! Your family must be very rich hor...

February 8, 2011 at 1:37 PM  
Blogger Hayley said...

This is the 1st year I distribute ang pao to the younger ones! It feels good also la :P

February 8, 2011 at 2:37 PM  
Blogger yvonne said...

My parents used to give me angpow on CNY eve.... I didn't know about any SUI monster until you posted this up. I don't practise this in my family. Just gave the children their angpow on the first day :p

February 8, 2011 at 4:53 PM  
Blogger Mommy to Chumsy said...

wow, this is interesting. my parents didn't practice this. we only get our angpows on the first day.

February 9, 2011 at 2:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home