Inspired Momx1

Monday, January 3, 2011

How We Spent Our New Year Eve & The Weekend

My grumpy boy at the paediatric emergency with Fifi tagged along

My boy developed high fever on the night of New Year eve.  When he was having his breakfast in the morning, he complained of body chill when the fan's switched on.  I didn't suspect anything amiss and sent him for swimming lesson as usual after breakfast.  Daddy tagged along as it was declared an "ad-hoc" public holiday last Friday.

We went to Sunway Pyramid after his swimming lesson as daddy wanted to get some clothings.  The boy was not his usual active self while we were there so we decided to head back home.  I checked his temperature upon reaching home and he had mild fever of 38.2 degrees C so I fed him ibuprofen and let him have a good nap.  His temp rose to over 40 degrees C later at night with ibuprofen giving lesser effect now.  I had to damp his body with pipe water the whole night to bring his temp down.

The next morning on New Year's day, we took him to PPUM's Paediatric Emergency unit for treatment.  As he complained of headache, sore throat, high fever and no appetite, some of H1N1 symptoms, I didn't want to take chances taking him to any private clinics, let alone being a public holiday, the doctors stationed at those clinics were mostly locums.

It was a breeze at the hospital and we were being attended to after 10 minutes.  The medical officer on duty was a pregnant Malay lady doctor.  She was very attentive and asked about our actitivies lately.  She then suspected that the culprit of high fever could be from the inflammed throat.  She said he could have choked on or swallowed some pool water during swimming lessons and that explained the inflammaton of the throat.  She prescribed paracetamol for fever, diphenhydramine expect. for cough and chlorphenamine for flu.  It was a viral infection and she advised to let the fever runs its course thus no antibiotics were necessary. 

Th boy took his 6 hourly paracetamol thrice before his fluctuated fever finally subsided, just in time to be well again for school today.  Unfortunately, the viruses had decided to pick mommy as the next target.. Merry go round huh? 

Labels: ,


Blogger Hayley said...

Oh no... please drink more water and take care ya!!

January 3, 2011 at 4:26 PM  
Blogger yvonne said...

Glad Ian has recovered, but mummy must take care of herself now....
Happy 2011~

January 3, 2011 at 5:18 PM  
Blogger mNhL said...

Oh dear....hope you are well now. Glad that Ian is all healthy to attend school.

January 6, 2011 at 1:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home